Sunday, September 14, 2008

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS

72 HOUR KITS

I have been taking a class about Food Storage and how to use it. I used to take classes like this years ago and then teach what I had learned. So it had been awhile. Nothing has really changed.
There are some products that are either modernized or changed a little, otherwise things were about the same.


We are doing okay in the food storage area. It can always be tweaked, but overall, we will survive.


So I have moved on to our 72 hour kits. Oh dear. I need to redo our 72 hour kits. I've been reading several news articles that are published on the internet concerning survival until help reaches you. One article I found interesting. In Brigham City, Utah, the residents have been told they need a seven (7) day supply. A 72 hour court is no longer enough. Thinking about this I realized how true this statement is for some emergencies.


The quickest responders can get to you is approximately 72 hours. But what if they can't get to you for another day or two?


Some of the Hurricane Ike survivors are stuck. They were given a mandatory evacuation and didn't heed the warning. Now they can't even get to some of those who need to be rescued because of the damage and devastation. The responders are saying it could be days before the way is cleared to rescue all of them. The resources just are not available.


Those who did evacuate, can't return home for several more days. Too many people have forgotten about helping themselves. They rely upon others and our government. This isn't going to work anymore. Hence, the 7 day supply. I know we have been counseled to have a 72 hour kit, but I see the wisdom in having a larger kit prepared.


So, just in case, have some extra prepared for emergencies. I know I will. I don't want to get caught in a terrible situation without some basic comfort and needs.


http://brighamcity.utah.gov/police_documents/Emergency%20Preparedness%20Checklist.pdf


1 comment:

Michelle said...

I definitely need to work on our kit. I think 7 days is a good goal to shoot for. I really like the comic. hehe.