Thursday, October 23, 2008

POSTUM OR PERO

I am sitting here reading emails. I've been awake since 3am. As it's getting closer to sunrise you can feel the coolness of the morning. Like when you are camping. It gets colder just before the sun rises. So, I wanted to warm up. Blanket, no. Socks, no. I love going bare foot. Can't really stand shoes and socks. I think it has to do with my claustrophobia. Anyway, on the kitchen counter sits a jar of Postum and a container of Pero and my favorite Blue Agave sweetener. I couldn't make up my mind, so obviously I had to have a cup of each.

Hot chocolate you say? Well, I love it. But there is too much sugar and carbs. And besides the caffeine in the drink makes me crazy and gives me killer headaches.

When I was growing up, I loved visiting my grandparents for several reasons. But I always liked the smell when I walked in their front door. Grandmother was always cooking or baking something. Excellent, excellent cook. It's hard to find people who cook everything from scratch like the grandmothers that are all passing away. My next favorite smell was coffee. She was always brewing coffee. I remember the old coffee percolators with the glass at the top. How you could see the coffee perc up to the top. It was fun to watch, but smelled even better. I did try coffee a couple of times. I never could figure out "why" someone would drink an extremely hot beverage that smelled so good, but tasted awful unless you added milk and sugar. It's kind of like vanilla extract. Smells heavenly, but oh, the taste will kill you. But to this day, in my minds eye, I can still see and smell my grandmothers kitchen.


Yep, that's my grandparents.
And below, my grandparents and my aunt and uncle.
We'll, here I am some ?? years later and in the winter I drink my Pero and Postum. I rationalize drinking it. The word of wisdom says not to drink hot beverages. But it also says:

" 9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.
14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."

My rational is this, 1, they taste good, 2, they are made strictly from whole grain, and 3, I drink them luke warm. Some of the time I drink them plain, and if I feel like I want something sweet, I use a smidgen of agave nectar.

So, what do you like? Postum or Pero?

1 comment:

Papa H said...

Who knows? I've never had either one. The only hot drinks I ever have are an occasional cup of hot chocolate and maybe a chicken broth (from a boullion cube) if I have a sore throat.

BTW: I like the smell of coffee too. I just haven't ever drank it.