Thursday, May 29, 2008

Special Olympics

TORCH RUN
We got back from the dentist an hour before the torch was to come through town. I sat in the front room waiting to hear the sirens. I knew what time they should run by, so we hopped in the truck and drove to the corner of State Street and sat in the truck waiting. No sirens, no runners and Mike needed to go to work. So we drove back up the street, I got out of the truck, took out my house keys, and sure enough, sirens. Mike headed to work, and I walked ever so quickly back to State Street. Standing there in the 45 degree, wind blowing, dark ugly clouds coming in quick, I took pictures in between vehicles driving by and made the normal fool of myself screaming and cheering on the runners. Guess what. I am the ONLY one on the corner. There was a mother with a stroller across the street who started cheering after I started cheering. Except for us, no one else cheering or encouraging the runners a block each way. I got a thank you hollered back and a lot of waves.

Last year there was one Police Officer running with the torch and one Special Olympian running with him. This year, there are lots of Officers and I didn't see any Olympians. I think it may have been too cold. I know I was one big goose bump.

The opening ceremonies are at 3pm today. I hope the weather will hold out. Right now I hear thunder, it smells like rain, and the news said the storm is leaving large marble sized hail. I think I'll head east. It doesn't look near as bad as looking west.

I love the Special Olympics. They are the best athletes. Their attitude is awesome and they have more fun than most of us. And the athletes really know how to give a hug and a smile.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the Special Olympics! I am so glad you cheered them on! I agree that the Olympians have so much fun and they bring such a sweet spirit!

Julie Hoggard said...

Great pictures, I am so glad you went to cheer them on even if you were one big goose bump. I would have taken my kids!