Today was my granddaughters first day of Kindergarten Camp. When I asked her how her day was, she talked about 100 miles an hour. She couldn't tell me fast enough the things she got to do.
I can remember when my girls first went to Kindergarten. It was traumatic for me. The tears I couldn't hold back. As each of my girls happily went on their way, I was having a hard time turning those precious little people over to others for learning.
These are impressionable years for children. And I always wondered whether I should send them to public school or private school. If I had children today I know I would put my children in a private school. One that enforces discipline, manners, respect and all the other things kids aren't taught in the home or at public schools anymore. Mind you, I'm not talking about brute force enforcement.
Gone for me are the days of watching my kids walk out the door on that first day of school with lunch box in hand, new back pack, but most importantly, the new school clothes. Oh yeah. The weather always seemed to know when school started. The night would cool right down, to almost chilly. In the morning you let your kids wear their new school clothes, which were usually winter school clothes. By afternoon, it would be so hot, they would get off the bus, tear into the house and change into shorts and short sleeved shirts.
I will now get to relive those moments through my grandchildren. The cycle of life is truly wonderful. Even though one day you wake up, you are empty nesters, and you look at each other and ask, "Who are you"? You adjust your days to fit the new season and carry on. And pretty soon, you get to live the best parts of a season now gone, through your children and grandchildren.
As soon as Emma was finished, the reflections of several years dissappeared, Sean got on the phone and said, "When are you going to get here"? "And don't forget to bring the toys to paint". And Ryan, well, he just gummed the phone and grunted a little.
Isn't life awesome.
Birthday and BYU with the Bensons
12 years ago



2 comments:
What an exciting day for Emma! When I talked to her later she was still so excited! I remember I had my red "Going to Grandma's" bag for my first day of school. It's fun to think about.
She was so exhausted from excitment she slept for almost 13 hours and still almost fell asleep the next day in school. Thanks for the memories of when we use to go- fun times!!
Post a Comment